Pages

Friday, December 24, 2010

Oreo Brownies

While I have holiday treats on the brain, I happened to see some amazing looking Brownie-covered Oreos over at the Picky Palate.

The tutorial is short and straightforward. Let's see how it worked out for the Kindergarten Crafter.

Gather your ingredients. I have flour here because I'm considered "high altitude" and have to add 2TB of flour to the brownie mix.



My mix doesn't look anything like hers. It could be the photography, but it's probably the extra flour.

I did make an extra effort to just barely coat the oreos. Many of the comments on her post talked about the brownies looking more like cakes than the brownies on her site.

When it was time for the unveiling, I've gotta say, I wasn't impressed. Oh, I was impressed by the CONCEPT, but these things stuck to the pan and were way crumbly. They looked nothing like the little adorable oreo bundles I'd seen.


But perhaps I'm being too harsh on myself. YOU be the judge of whether these are ugly as sin or whether they look pretty much like the original.

Picky Palate version:
Photo credit: Picky-palate.com
My version:


Yeah. That's what I thought as well. I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm just saying that I can't do it. Go give it a try and let me know if it works for you.



OK, now for the scoring, so you know just what you're getting into.

EASE - On a scale of 1-5 thumbs, 1 being no problem and 5 making me cry, I give this craft:
5 Thumbs

GIFTABILITY - On a scale of 1-5 gifts, 1 being barely giftable and 5 being almost sellable, I give this craft:
0 Gifts -  I actually threw these in the garbage, after we scrounged out some of the brownie parts.

HAPPINESS - On a scale of 1-5 smilies, 1 being UGH and 5 being WOOT!!!, I give this craft:
1 smiles - Happy that I tried it. And Happy that I had a  better project in the works right after.

2 comments:

  1. I'm trying to think of a way to make that more successful for you but I can't.... Maybe it'd be safer to just eat the Oreos.

    Merry Christmas, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't see the problem - ugly cookies mean you can't give them as gifts and have to *sigh* eat them all yourself ;-) It's a win-win!

    ReplyDelete