Pages

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Silhouette cutter art

Just a quickie ... Kindergarten Crafter attempted two things this week. One from a common tutorial and another just made up outta the old noggin. SCARY!  Both use the silhouette vinyl cutter.

From Remodalholic, I snagged a tutorial for a PB knockoff  featuring giant numbers. As usual, it doesn't make sense for me to write a tutorial, just to show you how the Kindergarten Crafter version goes.

Even with the Silhouette, cutting out numbers larger than 8" wide was pretty time consuming. It took me an entire day to figure out the best / easiest way. Hint: Split the big ones in half and lop of the shortest ends of the tall numbers (7 for example) and just lump all the bottom ends on a single sheet. No sense using long sheets when you don't have to.



Use cool, decorative fonts. Don't ask why this is sideways, I think I took the picture that way.
You can see the ridge from the book pages under the coat of paint. I didn't have a phone book because we threw them all away (recycled. natch!) because we thought we'd never need them. Sheesh... famous last words.

Number 9. Number 9. Number 9.  (Beatles fan, anyone?)
And the end result? Close enough for the people I dance with.


OK, now for the scoring, so you know just what you're getting into.

EASE - On a scale of 1-5 thumbs, 1 being no problem and 5 making me cry, I give this craft:
2 Thumbs. Cutting and placing the vinyl might be a 4, but overall, pretty dang simple.

GIFTABILITY - On a scale of 1-5 gifts, 1 being barely giftable and 5 being almost sellable, I give this craft:
5 Gifts - TOTALLY giftable!

HAPPINESS - On a scale of 1-5 smilies, 1 being UGH and 5 being WOOT!!!, I give this craft:
4 smiles - All in all, pretty dang effective for a $20 canvas and some scrap paint.


The other project was a gift for YoungSon the linguist.

Originally, I did this:


~meh~
Nothing special. It just didn't move me. As I've gotten braver with the Silhouette though, I attempted a redo with some extensive weeding involved.

That's extensive. And the photo isn't faded, it's through the back side of the transfer tape.

Add some shiny paint:

CAREFULLY (seriously, this is hard!) peel off the vinyl and place it on the matching canvas and make another one, this time using black paint, and VOILA!!!!



A set of Arabic language wall canvases. Woot!!!


OK, now for the scoring, so you know just what you're getting into.

EASE - On a scale of 1-5 thumbs, 1 being no problem and 5 making me cry, I give this craft:
2 Thumbs

GIFTABILITY - On a scale of 1-5 gifts, 1 being barely giftable and 5 being almost sellable, I give this craft:
5 Gifts -  It's a gift. I have to give it a 5 or I can't send it.

HAPPINESS - On a scale of 1-5 smilies, 1 being UGH and 5 being WOOT!!!, I give this craft:
5 smiles - Sure, it's a little kindergarten-ish on some of the paint lines. But anybody who is that picky deserves to notice it. So HA!

Anyway, that's the abbreviated, last of the year, 2010 in review post. Look forward to learning and doing more in the year ahead.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

1 comment:

  1. Great post! The fact that you means someone is reading and liking it! Congrats!That’s great advice.

    Gear hob cutters

    ReplyDelete